Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ambient Styling

This week had its ups and downs as I received the grades for my last two assignments. One of the things I was really frustrated by this week was the fact that I didn’t realise before I handed in the last assignment that the website doesn’t look finished. I created an image saying that an image was coming soon. I suppose this was only my fault as I was trying to take the easy way out instead of finding the images. In the future I will make sure that I am using all the images I intend to use or create designs that will work with few or many images.

On the upside the other assignment I handed in was a lot better as I managed to get all the work together and not make any silly mistakes as I did in the last assignments before. I suppose this was mainly because all of the work was done in timed assignments instead of been lots of academic work. Some of the things I need to try and do in the next assignment are to push my grades up slightly as I’ve yet to reach the higher grades I should be achieving.

One of the tasks that have been set for me in the upcoming week is to find out how long I spend doing tasks in a week and make a record of this. John believes this will show me where I can do more coursework at home, and I think this will also show where I can do other things so I have a more structured week while at college. I believe this will be an important task for me but I could have really done with doing this earlier in the year.

One of the main tasks of this week was to get the logo finished. I was quite happy that I finally got the logo together as this was one of the main tasks of this assignment. I am really happy with the final design as I have spent a lot of time creating and tweaking the design. I believe from this I have developed my work a lot better than I have done in the previous assignments. I have also realised that you cant just jump from A to B there is the little stagers in between this showing how you came up with the design and what you changed to get their.

Another task for this week was to start work on the style guide. From the screen design I originally designed for the site, I have totally changed the layout. I found that there where too many colours incorporated into the design and the vertical navigation didn’t work on that design. So I decided to lose the blue bar and come up with a new idea for the header part of the page. I feel I have come a long way since the first site I created as this site appears to look a lot more professional and also is really simple to use. On of the things I made sure I didn’t use for this site was buttons. I feel hypertext works better as its easier to use and works better with the design.

2 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

That's the problem when you're doing part time work at the same time as being on this course - you don't have a solid structure you can stick to. Sometimes you get an hour here, and an hour there.

I always used to find that I never fully got into the swing of things because I never got the chance to really get going, but now I've got set hours at my new job it means that I have more structure to my days, which in turn means I can plan my self study more. Now I can definitely say to myself "right, I can do 2 hours 5 nights a week", and easily stick to it.

Another tip that I've found that helps me now is to try and do some self study after you've finished work (if possible). Because you've just been working, you're already in that frame of mind, so you'll find it easier to carry on doing a bit more work.

It aint always easy - as I've found many a time - to force yourself to do some work, but you've just got to do it.

Marc Pugh said...

I agree. Sometimes i come home from work or college and do even more work. I guess this is because I mite not get the chance later, but I am also more comfortable as I am already in a working mood.

It really helps to plan your study time for when you feel at your peak. It's no good having a few hours of study if your tired at that perticular time. I usually feel tired at around 1 oclock ish, so I make sure that my study time is not at this certain time, although sometimes you may have no choice.